Joe asks: "I study so much, I worry that I'm being inefficient."
- It's important to make a distinction between "study" and "practice"
- What do you spend your time doing? There's a risk you are planted firmly in study mode, in which case wasting your time is a danger...
- There's only so much new information your brain can take in in one day, so in that sense, you certainly do get diminishing returns after a certain amount of "study"
- However, you can never spend too much time in the company of the language
- I would suggest you experiment with spending no more than one hour a day on focused study, and instead try to consume French with real activities: speaking with people, reading books, watching TV
- Create an immersion environment for yourself, based on the things you enjoy the most
- You won't get the same sense of daily progress, but you'll be priming yourself for a transformation in your French abilities!
Resources Mentioned In Today's Episode:
Start Speaking Today:
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, visit: http://iwillteachyoualanguage.com/italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show! Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast! If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below! If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there! See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!