Ferdinand asks: "How do I repair holes in my students' grammar?"
- How holes in your grammar can develop
- Different roles for the teacher:
- Teach what you know is right
- Teach what the student expects
- Raising awareness is the only way to help students self-monitor and fix their own mistakes
- If students resist basic grammar exercises, look for another way...
How to raise awareness and encourage self-monitoring:
- Talk to them about their goals, and how better grammar would help
- "Stealth grammar"
- Record the student and have them listen back
- Write two sentences on the board, ask: "What's the difference?"
- Set writing tasks instead of speaking tasks - scaffold their language and highlight opportunities for better grammar
Resources Mentioned In Today's Episode:
Start speaking today:
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, visit: http://iwillteachyoualanguage.com/italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show! Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast! If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below! If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there! See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!